POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Early beta: A POV include file plugin - comments wanted : Early beta: A POV include file plugin - comments wanted Server Time
6 May 2024 06:47:12 EDT (-0400)
  Early beta: A POV include file plugin - comments wanted
From: Neil Kolban
Date: 24 Dec 2004 00:36:43
Message: <41cbaaeb$1@news.povray.org>
Folks,
I have just about completed a new plugin for Moray.

Often, I find myself having to step outside of Moray to create some
capabilities in native POV-Ray such as isosurface, sky_sphere and more.
There already exists some fine plugins for including code into a Moray scene
but when this is entered, it has no visual representation on Moray's views.
This makes it extremely difficult to transform (scale, transform, rotate) as
it has no visual on the screen.  This new plugin allows us to build a POV
scene fragment, save it in an ".inc" file (using POV-Ray) and then add that
file into our Moray composition.  The inclusion shows as a wire frame box in
the scene which can be transformed.  When sent to POV-Ray for rendering, the
result is a:

union
{
   #include "filename.inc"
  <transforms here>
}

in the POV-Ray scene.

I have had a devil of a time getting my mind around the plugin technologies
but all seems to be working.  What I am looking for is some feedback on how
useful this would be to others beyond myself.  If you are interested in
testing, let me know and I'll send you a download link.

Please don't email me as I run a "white-list" and if I don't know your email
address before you send me mail, it gets automatically junked (spam etc
etc).  Please post back here for correspondence.

If anyone has a good "name" for the plugin, that would be great too...

So far I have been thinking "POV Include" but that isn't hardened.

Neil